The Hong Kong Society of Digestive Endoscopy was founded in 1984 by a group of experienced gastroenterologists and surgeons in Hong Kong. The Society is the official regional representative in the World Endoscopy Organization.
The objectives for which the Society is established are:
- To promote the advancement of gastrointestinal endoscopy
- To co-ordinate and correlate the efforts of organizations, companies, associations, societies, institutions, statutory bodies and other authorities and individuals interested in the causes, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of gastroenterological diseases with a view to reducing morbidity and mortality in Hong Kong
- To promote, foster, develop and assist medical and allied profession in the study of and the acquisition, dissemination and application of knowledge and information concerning the causes, diagnosis prevention and treatment of gastroenterological diseases
- To assist in keeping the medical profession in Hong Kong up to date in the latest developments in the field of medical and scientific research and methods of diagnosis, prevention and treatment of gastroenterological diseases
- To stimulate public interest and provide public education in the prevention and treatment of gastroenterological diseases and related problems